Teenage Mothers Outreach (TEMO), founded in 2012, is a Christian, non-governmental organization (NGO) operating just outside of the Soweto slum in Kampala, Uganda. TEMO serves primarily young mothers and women/girls in crisis pregnancies providing medical care, food, vocational training in hairdressing and tailoring, and spiritual training.
The hairdressing and tailoring classes last for one year. At the end of the year, TEMO gives hairdressing supplies and equipment to the mothers who graduate from the hairdressing training program to help them start a business of their own or to help them get a job. TEMO gives the tailoring graduates a sewing machine to use in setting up their own business or joining another one. TEMO equips these graduates with vocational and business training so that they can be self-sufficient and provide for themselves and their children.
Engage Hope began its partnership with TEMO in 2017. Since that time, with the help of Engage Hope and its donors, the following needs have been met:
• funding for rent for the TEMO offices where TEMO staff conducts vocational training, counseling, distributes food to the mothers in the program and shares the gospel
• funding for weekly feeding of the young mothers and their children
• funding for the medical costs of the young mothers
• funding for staff salaries
• providing sewing machines and hairdressing equipment for mothers graduating from the year-long training program
• providing the tent for the hairdressing school along with shampoo chairs and other necessities
• furnishing the TEMO office
Engage Hope also offers assistance through the following initiatives:
* Sponsor-a-Child - Through Engage Hope, generous individuals from the United States sponsor children in the TEMO program to provide them with a Christian education, minor medical care, a daily meal, and the teaching of life skills to enable self-sufficiency.
Short-Term Mission Trips – Every year, Engage Hope leads two to three short-term mission trips to TEMO. Team members share the gospel with children in the program through Bible stories, and arts and crafts. Teams also provide medical clinics and discipleship training. The goal of each Engage Hope trip is always to meet physical needs while sharing the gospel of Christ.
In March of 2020, Engage Hope sponsored a team of students from Prestonwood Christian Academy (PCA) on a short-term mission trip to Uganda. The PCA students visited TEMO where they provided and distributed food to the young mothers and their children.
COVID Relief Fund – to prevent the spread of COVID, the Ugandan government locked down the country, including closing schools and prohibiting public and private transportation. Engage Hope raised funds to send to Ministry Partners to help them purchase food for families of sponsored children as well as other families in their ministries who were going hungry.
Yearly Meet the Need Campaign – every summer, Engage Hope raises funds for our ministry partners that allow them to meet the greatest needs of the students in their programs. Ministry Partners have distributed mosquito nets, mattresses, blankets, shoes, school supplies, soap, and many other necessities.
Yearly Christmas Party – for years, Engage Hope has raised funds to give to each of our ministry partners to allow them to provide a Christmas party for the children in their programs. The parties include a meal for the children, fun activities, and sharing the Christmas story of Jesus' birth. Children look forward to these parties all year long!
* Engage Hope sends ninety percent of your sponsor donation directly to a ministry partner who works directly with your child. All child sponsor donations are sent together, either monthly or quarterly, to that ministry partner. The ministry partner uses the donations to cover its operating expenses and expenses associated with sponsored children. The ministry partner does not track the expenses on a child-by-child basis but assures that each sponsored child can go to school, receive adequate nutrition, and receive basic medical care and a uniform if the sponsor has donated funds for uniforms.